ADVANCED Open Water Dive Course at B&J Dive Centre - Pulau Tioman, Pahang
The AOW course helps you increase your confidence and build your scuba skills so you can become more comfortable in the water. This is a great way to get more dives under your belt while continuing to learn under supervision of your PADI instructor.
The PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course (AOW) certifies you to dive to a depth of 30meters and is the required certification level in many dive destinations. You’ll hone your skills by completing five adventure dives that introduce you to Deep Diving, Underwater Navigation and a sample of three more dives of your choice. Most divers choose Peak Performance Buoyancy, Night Diving and either Wreck Diving or Fish Identification. There will be no final exam; the only homework you have to do is to read the appropriate sections in the AOW Student Manual and to write down the answers of the Knowledge Reviews of each chapter.
If you choose these dives including the night dive, the duration of the course would only be 2 days. Generally we start courses every other day with small group sizes (average of 2 to 4 students).
Complying with PADI standards, we are offering the PADI AOW course together with the AOW student manual, dive equipment and certification.
Another great option is to combine your AOW course together with the PADI Enriched Air Specialty. The PADI Enriched Air Specialty course is the most sought after course in the world. Diving on Enriched Air gives you the advantage of longer bottom times, which is especially important on deeper dives, and it provides additional safety in shallower dives. You will also feel less tired if you dive on Enriched Air compared to air. Once the academic section of this course is completed, you have to pass a final exam (25 questions, multiple choices), analyze your Enriched Air tanks and go out diving using Enriched Air. The 2 dives can be combined with any of the PADI Advanced Open Water dives and you will be conducting a total of 6 dives
Johor ~ Mersing ~ Pulau Tioman ~ Salang Beach & ABC
Room Type & Description
STANDARD Packages – Standard air-conditioned rooms (pretty basic rooms!)
Resort NOT owned or operated by B&J;Single occupancy: 1 double bed;Double sharing: 1 double bed;Triple sharing: 1 double + 1 single bed;Quad sharing: 2 double beds;Room amenities: Air-conditioning, warm water shower, toilet, sink, balcony
DELUXE Packages – Deluxe air-conditioned rooms
Resort NOT owned or operated by B&J; Single occupancy: 1 double bed; Twin sharing: 2 single beds; Double sharing: 1 double bed; Triple sharing: 1 double + 1 single bed; Quad sharing: 2 double beds; Room amenities: Air-conditioning warm water shower, toilet, sink, balcony, some rooms have a kettle
TIOMAN DIVE RESORT (TDR) – Deluxe/Executive air-conditioned luxurious rooms
Air-conditioning, ceiling fan, fridge, kettle, coffee/tea, TV, limited satellite TV, channels, DVD Player, safe, wardrobe, warm water shower, hair dryer, balcony
Facilities & Activities
Two wooden dive boats, former Malaysian fishing boats, modified to suit all your diving needs - 15 divers per boat, 1 fresh water swimming pool is perfect for the confined water dives and to train youngsters (starting at the age of 8) to become Bubblemakers or Seal Team divers, PADI courses from beginner to professional level in English, French and Italian, PADI specialty courses, Dive Centre with complete dive equipement, PADI 5 Star Diving Facility, DSAT, IANTD (International Association of Nitrox and Technical Diver), Divers Alert Network (DAN), 8 instructors, 5 Dive Masters, 4 boat crew, 3 compressor crew ; authorised traders of different brands like SeacSub, Scubapro/Uwatec, Apeks, Dive Rite, Sartek Industries Inc., Suunto, Apollo, Unidive, Seapro etc
ROOM CATEGORIES FOR PACKAGES:PADI Dive Course and Leisure Diving Packages are based on the following room categories:
o Standard Packages – Standard air-conditioned rooms
- Single/Twin:One (1) double bed or two (2) single beds, warm water shower, toilet, sink, balcony
- Triple: One (1) double + one (1) single bed, warm water shower, toilet, sink, balcony
- Quad: Two (2) double beds, warm water shower, toilet, sink, balcony
o Deluxe Packages – Deluxe air-conditioned rooms
- Single/Twin: One (1) double bed or two (2) single beds, warm water shower, toilet, sink, balcony
- Triple: One (1) double + one (1) single bed, warm water shower, toilet, sink, balcony
- Quad: Two (2) double beds, warm water shower, toilet, sink, balcony
o Tioman Dive Resort – Deluxe or Executive air-conditioned luxurious rooms
- Deluxe Single/Twin Rooms: | One (1) king bed or two (2) single beds | Air-conditioning, ceiling fan, fridge, kettle, coffee/tea, TV, DVD Player, safe, wardrobe, warm water shower, hair dryer, balcony
- Deluxe Triple Rooms: | One (1) Queen bed plus one (1) super single bed | Air-conditioning, ceiling fan, fridge, kettle, coffee/tea, TV, DVD Player, safe, wardrobe, warm water shower, hair dryer, balcony
- Deluxe Quad Rooms: | One (1) Queen bed plus two (2) super single beds | Air-conditioning, ceiling fan, fridge, kettle, coffee/tea, TV, DVD Player, safe, wardrobe, warm water shower, hair dryer, balcony
- Executive Single/Twin Rooms: | One (1) king bed or two (2) single beds | Air-conditioning, ceiling fan, fridge, kettle, coffee/tea, TV, DVD Player, safe, wardrobe, warm water shower, hair dryer, balcony
- Executive Triple Rooms: | One (1) king bed plus one (1) single bed, or instead three (3) single beds | Air-conditioning, ceiling fan, fridge, kettle, coffee/tea, TV, DVD Player, safe, wardrobe, warm water shower, hair dryer, balcony
The aforementioned accommodation is subject to availability. Requested accommodation that is not available, will be booked at a different resort within a similar price range.
**Please Note that there will be a non-refundable handling charge on payment made. Conditions apply.
3 Days 2 Nights PADI Advanced Open Water Course ~ valid till 12th Nove,ber 2017
(rates based on per person)
Two (2) nights accommodation based on the chosen package
PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course (including certification if mastery is achieved)
All required course materials (student manual, dive slate)
All dive equipment rental if required
At least two (2) of the five (5) dives to be completed on our dive boat with lunch and refreshments provided during our day trip (subject to weather conditions and available time)
Add-on Enriched Air Nitrox course including certification for just MYR 500.00!
Day 1: Arrival, theory, two pool/shore dives
Day 2: Theory, two boat day dives plus a night dive
Day 3: Free and easy (if all dives conducted on days 1 and 2), departure
Must hold PADI Open Water certification or equivalent**Please Note that there will be a non-refundable handling charge on payment made. Conditions apply.
* B&J operates several dive boats (wooden boats and speedboats).
* B&J conducts up to 4 boat dives daily:
o Day Trip departing between 9:00am and 9:30am and returning to Tioman Island after 2 dives between 2:30pm and 3:00pm. Lunch will be provided on board
o Afternoon dive departing between 3:30pm and 4:00pm
o Night dive departing between 6:30pm and 7:00pm (only available if a minimum of 5 divers conduct a boat night dive)
* Dive groups are kept small with an average of 4 divers (maximum 6) per Divemaster.
* All dive sites and dive schedules will be arranged at the discretion of the dive centre.
SHORE / JETTY DIVES
* Shore dives are conducted at the nearby house reef or at the jetty.
* We recommend that every visitor conducts at least one shore muck dive. Especially the jetty in Salang Bay is an amazing dive with several huge shoals of fish and many critters.
* Night dives are conducted upon request on a daily basis either from shore or from boat.
* We recommend that all night divers have had night diving education/experience before.
* B&J is offering night adventure dives for those divers without prior night diving experience.
* A full set of dive equipment is included in our leisure diving and course prices.
* Your own dive equipment:
o Discount of MYR 30.00 per diving day available for Leisure Diving Packages if you bring your complete own set of scuba gear
o No discount available for dive course packages
* B&J has some 70 rental sets available, which are regularly serviced by our certified scuba technicians.
* Rental sets are of the following brands: Scubapro, Mares, SeacSub.
* B&J is a PADI 5 Star IDC Centre and we send our breathing air regularly to a laboratory in the USA for testing. We are proud to offer the best scuba breathing air available in Malaysia and are the only dive center in Malaysia to receive the “Bauer Pure Air Certificate”.
BUDDY SYSTEM AND DEPTH LIMITATIONS
* All dives must be with a buddy; no solo diving is allowed.
* We will provide a dive buddy if you should be coming alone.
* Depth on any dive shall be limited to a maximum of 30 meters (90feet), of course taking into account any residual nitrogen time already acquired.
* For safety measures, a mandatory minimum 60 minutes surface interval is required before the next consecutive dive, regardless of whether you are diving by a computer or by tables.
FLYING AFTER DIVING
* The latest recommendation in regards of flying after diving indicates that you should wait a minimum of 12 hours before flying after a single dive or 18 hours after multiple dives
SPECIAL RULES TO PROTECT MARINE LIFE
* Divers and snorkelers are to refrain from touching, teasing and restraining turtles or any other marine life under water because:
o Turtles are air breathers and can be drowned if panicked or cornered. Anyone riding or restraining turtles will not be allowed to dive anymore.
o Any kind of marine life including corals are very fragile and we should protect our underwater environment and not destroy it
o We follow the “Triple T Rule”: Don’t Touch, Don’t Take Tease, Don’t Take and leave only bubbles behind
o We adhere a strict no glove policy
P.S. B&J Tioman has been operating forever at Tioman. Passed from father to son, the business started in 1986 and has been running professionally now to include wreck dives technical diving. B&J has started to build its own B&J Dive Resort to offer higher quality accommodation on Tioman Island.
Technical Diving at World War 11 wrecks and others
The only divable battleships in the world (HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales) are within reach from Pulau Tioman. A liveaboard or short trips can be arranged with B&J but do let us know your requirements and dive proficiency before making any other plans. The dives are challenging and the wrecks are at great depths. B&J's IANTD technical facility provides you with all the necessary required for these exciting wreck expeditions. Make use of their long experience and knowledge of these wrecks to guarantee a safe and well organized tech trip.
The famous British Renown class Battlecruiser was completed in August 1916. The ship was extremely fast, easily topping 32 knots, due in part to their extreme length - beam ratio, but this also at the expense of light armour.
Known as Force Z, together with HMS Prince of Wales, she was stationed in Singapore in the hope that their presence would help deter a Japanese attack. (courtesy of b&j dive tioman)
KM SIPADAN is a former Royal Navy warship that was put in service in 1964 under the name KD Sri Sarawak. It was renamed later to KM Spidadan and was decommissioned from Navy services in 2005. The Marine Maritime Enforcement Agency decided to make it an artificial reef and sunk it at the Sawadee dive site on 29th March 2012The Sipadan is some 31meters long and 4.5meters wide and has been stripped of all weapons and it's engine before it was sunk. It makes a perfect wreck diving site, especially if your are Nitrox certified since it allows for longer bottom times. Divers with Wreck Specialty and/or technical divers can even penetrate the ship!
Max depth: 30m ; Best depth: 25m ; Visibility: 5-20m
Currents: weak ; Diver level: experienced ; Distance: 15min
A 30% non-refundable deposit is required to confirm the booking (minimum of MYR 300.00 per person)
The balance must be paid some 30 days before arrival of students
Initial deposit (30%): Non-refundable
From 29 to 15 days before arrival of guests: 50% of the trips full price forfeited, balance will be refunded (excl. bank/finance charges)
From 14 to 8 days before arrival of guests: 70% of the trips full price forfeited, balance will be refunded (excl. bank/finance charges)
7 days or less before arrival of guests: 100% of the trips full price forfeited
There will be no refund if your guests should decide to not utilize the dives/services included in the package
CONDITIONS FOR DIVING
Leisure diving packages can only be offered to already certified divers
All guests will be required to sign a Liability/Release Form (Waiver) upon arrival and abide by all diving and safety rules of the dive centre/resort
B&J operates diving from 1st February until 31st October and the weather is generally very nice throughout the season with average air temperatures of 32°C and average water temperatures of 28°C
Weather conditions for scuba diving can’t be predicted even for the best season
B&J will not be liable in whole or in part by any cause beyond our control due to fire, flood, weather, strikes or other labor disputes, shortage of materials, transportation difficulties, accident, war, riot, acts of God or change of laws.
TIOMAN ISLAND, DIVING SEASON, VISIBILITY:
Tioman Island is the biggest and most impressive island on the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. The island is some 35km long and covered densely in one of the oldest rain forests. It’s just begging to be explored and is habitat for a large variety of flora and fauna.
The main attractions on Tioman are scuba diving and snorkeling plus rainforest trekking
Dive sites around the famous Coral Island are renowned for their healthy coral reefs and abundance of marine life. Travel distance to dive sites from our centers range from 5min to 30min
Diving season: 1st February until 10th November
Best visibility (15m to 25m): March to June and September to November
o Diving is still fantastic during the summer peak season (June - August), but the underwater visibility is usually reduced to approximately 8m to 15m
ACCOMMODATION & RESORT LOCATION
Take note that Standard and Deluxe packages are based on resorts NOT owned and operated by B&J.
o B&J has no influence whatsoever on the room cleanliness and functionality
o Please be aware that the room might be really basic
Standard and Deluxe packages are based on resorts in either Air Batang (aka ABC Bay), or in Salang Bay. B&J will book a room depending on availability.
Tioman Dive Resort is owned and operated by B&J and provides the nicest and cleanest rooms
o Tioman Dive Resort is located in Air Batang (aka ABC Bay)
Meals are not included except for a local lunch that is provided during our boat day trips
There are numerous restaurants within easy walking distance from the resorts offering local and western cuisine with the highlight being fresh seafood BBQ
Electrical outlet is 220 Volt AC, 50 cycles using three rectangular prongs similar to British plugs
B&J are offering free WiFi internet service for customers at their dive centers
Internet connection on the island is very slow and can’t be guaranteed
By Coach Transport – book via www.easybook.com:
o From Kuala Lumpur to Mersing:
Several coaches daily from TBS (Terminal Bersepadu Selatan)
It’s best to take the night bus (reaches Mersing early morning on the following day)
Duration: Approximately 6 hours)
o From Singapore to Mersing:
Several coaches daily from multiple locations
Duration: Approximately 4 hours
Private Transport (booked by B&J):
o Taxi from Singapore to Mersing: SGD 180.00 to SGD 200.00 per way
o Van charter from Singapore to Mersing: MYR 800.00/way
Mersing to Tioman Island by ferry (booked by B&J):
o Large, high speed ferries to either ABC Bay (4th stop) or Salang Bay (final stop)
o Duration: Approximately 2hrs to 2 ½
Costs: MYR 90.00 per return ticket
* photos courtesy of B&J Tioman