5 Days 4 Nights Salt Trail Expedition at Crocker Range National Park, Keningau ~ Sabah Borneo
The Crocker Range was renamed Taman Banjaran Crocker (Crocker Range Park) in 1996 and is now managed by Sabah Parks. The salt trail is a 34km long trail used by people of Tambunan in the olden days for trade. The countrymen used to exchange their produce for salt. Hence, it’s called ‘The Salt Trail’. This trail starts from Kg Tikolod, Tambunan to Inobong, Penampang. The highest point is at 1320m and the lowest at 220m. The rugged track involves trekking through primary jungle and across many rivers. Whilst trekking there may be the opportunity of sighting many weird and wonderful species of birds, insects, mammals, amphibians and reptiles. Species such as ~ Orang Utan, Long Tailed Macaque, Clouded Leopard have been spotted here. There are villages scattered all over this area, mainly people from the Dusun tribe and this expedition includes overnight stays in village accommodation and the chance to sample wonderful local food. Each participant who completes this 5 day expedition will have a chance to take many amazing photos and experience the beauties of the rainforest.
Borneo ~ Sabah ~ Crocker Range National Park (88.0 Km from Kota Kinabalu)
Tour Commences from
Kota Kinabalu town
Minimum No of Pax
What to bring:
Good sturdy footwear suitable for trekking
Head torch/handheld torch
Personal clothing & swim wear
Wash kit & dry/waterproof bags
Sleeping bag/ blanket
Rucksack (around 40 litre capacity).
Water bottle (1 litre capacity recommended)
The following equipment is supplied
* Hammock, tarpaulin, mosquito net & chord * Mess tin, mug & cutlery * also provide a blanket if required
- Cotton Leech Socks: RM 35.00 per pair (one size) with elastic draw string.
- Rubber shoes for jungle trekking: RM 15.00 per pair (up to euro size 43).
- Certificate of completion: RM 7.00.
5 Days 4 Nights Salt Trail Expedition at Crocker Range National Park, Keningau ~ Valid Till 31st December 2017
(Rates based on per person per package)
English speaking guide(s), first aid support, permits,activity equipment, entrance fees, insurance, ID Tags,meals & certificate of completion
*This Expedition includes
insurance as per Sabah Parks
Transport to and fro Kota Kinabalu town
RM 424.00 (12 Pax)
Activities included during the expedition:
- Navigation with map & compass
- Jungle survival skills
- Natural medicines, identification & usage.
- Nature Guiding - tree, plant & animal species,observation & identification
- Wild food collection (where possible)
- Camp skills; cooking & fire building
- Bamboo craft (where possible)
- Knots & their usage
- Night walk & observation
The following equipment is supplied :
* Hammock, tarpaulin, mosquito net & chord * Mess tin, mug & cutlery * We may also provide a blanket if required * Mosquito repellent & sun screen * Water bottle & drinking water
* Each participant is required to complete an indemnity form prior to participating in any activity
**Please Note that there will be a non-refundable handling charge on payment made. Conditions apply.
Day 1 – Kota Kinabalu to Kg. Tikolod, Molungung Camp
10:00am Depart Kota Kinabalu for Kg Tikolod (approximately 2 hours)
Arrive at Molungung Camp, welcome briefing& introduction
Equipment issue & introduction.
Safety briefing & expedition preparation
Camp set up.
Free at own leisure
Overnight stay at Molungung Camp
Day 2 – Molunging to Kg. Kionop
Prepare for trekking
Trek to Kg. Kionop (6 to 8 hours trekking time)
Arrive at Kg. Kionop
Free at own leisure
Overnight stay at Kg. Kionop
Day 3 – Kg. Kionop to Kg. Buayan
Prepare for trekking
Trek to Kg. Buayan (3 - 4 hours trekking time)
Arrive at Kg. Buayan
Free at own leisure
Overnight stay at Kg. Buayan
Day 4 – Kg. Buayan to Kg. Terian
Prepare for trekking
Trek to Kg. Terian (3 - 4 hours trekking time)
Arrive at Kg.Terian
Free at own leisure
Overnight stay at Kg. Terian at a Homestay.
Day 5 – Kg. Terian to Inobong Sub Station
Prepare for trekking
Trek to Kg. Inobong Sub Station (7 - 8 hours trekking time)
Arrive at Inobong
Expedition review & certificate presentation
Prepare to depart
3:30pm Transfer to Kota Kinabalu
(Approximately 1 hour transfer time)
Crocker Range National Park in Brief
The Crocker Range is a forest covered mountain range which stretches in a south westerly direction from Mount Kinabalu towards the Sabah - Sarawak border. It separates the coastal plains from the interior regions. Frequently shrouded in rain clouds, the peak rise to between 1200 - 1800 meters above sea and coastal plains. Formerly a forest reserve, its 1399 square kilometers became a national park in 1984. It is the largest park in Sabah.
The Crocker Range is bisected by the Padas Gorge, through which swirls the mighty Padas River. The Crocker Range provides a vital water catchment area for communities in the foothills and plains to both the west coast and interior.
Previously, there was no road from the interior to the coastal town but only with bridle paths crisscrossing the hinterlands. These bridle paths took the villagers down to the coastal town, bartering for salt, matches and kerosene. These paths have since been known as Salt Trail. Viewing wildlife is not the highlight in this tour.
Items to Bring: Long pants for trekking, sleeping bag at comfort zone 15°C or 23°C, leech socks,Therma-Rest or sleeping mat, rain cover or water tight proof bags, raincoat, 2.5 liter drinking water bottle, swimsuit, insect repellent, walking stick, head lamps (including extra bulb and batteries), torchlight, personal toiletries, tissue, good walking shoes, slipper or sandals and energy food (chocolate, raisins, nuts, rehydration salt, glucose, etc)
Note: Temperature at night could go down to 13°C. You are recommended to bring your own sleeping bag, Therma-Rest or sleeping mat. However, mosquito net will be provided. Porters will be available to carry part of your belongings with your backpack or knapsack. All trekkers are required to fill in a confidential Medical Information Form and Indemnity Form which will be provided during pre-briefing session prior to commencement of tour.
Personal Insurance :-
||Rates per person (RM)
|Up to 5 days
||Accidental death & disablement : RM50,000.00
Medical reimbursement : RM20,000.00
Alternative medicine reimbursement : RM250.00
Emergency evacuation : Unlimited
Travel cancellation : RM1000.00
Damage or loss of personal effect : RM1000.00
Personal liability : RM1,000,000.00
Credit card indemnity : RM2500.00
Insurance Notes: Insurance packages are provided by Chartis Malaysia from working in conjunction with Vault Financials. If insurance is required we must receive a completed insurance details form within 3 days from activity date (form will be provided upon request) All Information provided will be treated as private & confidential. It is the client’s responsibility to make arrangements for travel/personal insurance. Although we may assist in purchasing insurance, we will not cover each participant for any injuries, the loss of personal items or any medical expenses.
A MYR 100.00 administration fee will be charged if there are any changes to confirmed bookings. Changes that are officially acknowledged by us at least 5 days prior to date of activity will be eligible for a full refund (Minus the MYR 100.00 Administration fee). If changes are made within 5 days then the changes will be recognised as a cancellation, please refer to our cancellation terms and conditions.
In the event of unforeseen circumstances, making it impossible or inadvisable to factors that do not allow the safe conduct of a safe activity or the delivery of services as described in the itinerary, we reserve the right to change or postpone the program at our absolute discretion. In such event, no resource or claims may be made against us. journeymalaysia (and our ground operators) reserve the right to cancel these tours in the event of adverse weather conditions or in any circumstances beyond our control that are deemed unsafe. Guests will not be entitled to a refund should cancellation of these tours occur. However, where possible, every effort will be made to substitute any cancelled tour with an alternative tour.
• 5 days prior to departure, Our cancellation fee will be imposed; 50% of the total booking amount
• No shows, 100% of the total amount will be forfeited.
Cancellation or postponement of program by ground operator
|Optional Equipment available for purchase:|
|Item||Sizes Available||Cost Per Item(MYR)||Remarks|
|Leech Socks (Cotton)||One size fits all||`35||Made locally from green cotton with elasticdraw string for securing below the knee.|
|Malaysian Rubber Shoes(Adidas Kampung)||Up to Euro 43||15||Rubber shoes, worn by the locals in the jungle.Proven to be hard wearing, long lasting & giveperfect grip in rainforest terrain.|
|Ultrathon Insect/MosquitoRepellent Cream Lotion||2oz (56.7g)||50||Contains 34.4% DEET, moisture resistant andprovides up to 12 hours protection|
|First Aid Kits||18 cm x 13 cmx 6.5 cm||75||Compact, durable first aid kits, complete withcontents
Q. What footwear do I need?
A. Strong sturdy footwear is recommended– sandals, crocs & flip flops are not to be worn during our activities.
Q. What clothes should I wear?
A. Light weight trousers and long-sleeved tops are recommended to keep the mosquitoes away and to protect you body from thorny plants/trees.
Q. What about mosquitoes?
A. Apply decent mosquito repellent which contains Deet ( Diethyl-meta-toluamide) before your activity and ensure that you re apply throughout the day. For longer activities in the jungle we recommend that participants seek medical advice with regards to anti malaria medication prior to their participation.
Q. What about drinking water?
A. All water taken from fresh clean water sources is purified. Water purification tablets is used & boiled water to eliminate harmful bacteria. We recommend that participants drink between 2 and 3 litres of water per day.
Q. How hot will it get in the jungle?
A. It may seem a strange question, but your body can quickly overheat during physical exertion in hot climates. Regularly stop during the most strenuous parts of the treks to ensure everyone is coping and drinking enough water.
Q. Can the guides & Instructors speak English and local languages?
A. Yes, all guides and instructors on this trip are fluent in English and other local languages.
Q. What is the overnight accommodation like?
A. Custom hammocks & tarpaulins locally made to our specifications are used. Sleeping in a hammock is remarkably comfortable but takes a bit of getting used to. Mosquito nets are provided, which are used in conjunction with our hammocks to minimize the risk of insect bites.
Q. What is a suitable age for our activities?
A. Provided a reasonable standard of fitness, e.g. being able to walk around 5 kilometers of unpredictable jungle terrain in one day, is maintained then there are no real age barriers. Not recommended taking children under the age of ten years old.
Q. What is the best time to go?
A. The weather in Borneo is always unpredictable. We constantly check weather conditions & adapt our activities where needed. Therefore, weather permitting; activities may be conducted.
- Participation – Prior to attending one of our activity programs, each participant must complete an indemnity form,
- Guides – All of our guides have been carefully selected for their special abilities & knowledge. An English speaking guide is always present during our activity programs & all of our guides are first aid qualified.
- Locations – All of our activity locations have been specially selected & are areas of outstanding natural beauty.
- Safety Information – All of our activities are conducted by experienced staff that hold current first aid qualifications and training. Our activities and locations are continually risk assessed and we maintain a high level of safety at all times. Our guides follow our operating procedures and safety guidelines to always provide a safe & professional service.
- Porters - Throughout our activities the assistance of a Porter is available. The cost is dependent on activity location, duration of program and number of porters required. Please contact us to check availability and costs
- Equipment – For all of our programs we supply the necessary basic equipment. Each itinerary has a specific information in relation to the relevant activity.
- For our one day programs we provide the following: drinking water & a group first aid kit. We do not supply the following items: Mosquito repellent, Sun Cream, Rucksack/bag & hiking shoes.
- Photography – Throughout our programs we continually take photographs which may be used for media or marketing purposes to include flyers, the internet and presentations. Each participant will be entitled to a copy of any photograph taken. Participants who do not wish their photograph to be used in this way must clearly state this on the indemnity form.
- Transportation – Agents are to provide program transportation and tour guides if necessary, to and from the activity location. Our staff will normally meet clients at the activity location or alternatively at the collection point.
- Meals – Where stated in the program itineraries, meals may be provided as part of the program. We offer a variety of different foods and try our upmost to meet participant’s dietary requirements. Due to the nature of activities, meals are usually prepared during the activity program by our guides & participants are able to get involved if they so wish. If you have specific dietary requirements you must contact us as soon as possible so that we may meet your dietary needs.
otherwise known as an 'acknowledgement of risk form '.Only those who are physically fit may attend our activities regardless of age. Children, although they may meet the fitness requirements, may not be allowed to attend our activities subject to our absolute discretion. Please contact us directly for any enquiries regarding children.
With regards to our jungle expeditions we provide the following items to each individual: Hammock, Tarpaulin, Mosquito net, Chord, Mess tin, Mug & Cutlery. We may also provide a blanket if required.
Whilst on expedition we also supply the following group equipment: Cooking equipment, basic toilet facilities, compasses, GPS, maps, mosquito repellent, sun cream, group first aid kit & water purification tablets.
For our expeditions we do not supply the following items: Large Personal rucksack/bag (For equipment), torch, personal toiletries, leech socks, water bottle & hiking shoes.
We are able to answer any enquiries regarding clothing & equipment suitable for our activities, we even stock items such as leech socks & Malaysian rubber shoes (adidas kampung) please contact us.
Transportation may also be arranged by us through a 3rd party licensed tour agent. If transport is required please contact us for a quotation.
Most of the activities offered by us are conducted in remote areas often in the wilderness. Events that may occur in these locations are less predictable & therefore there will always be elements of risk as we are dealing with nature.
Itineraries planned should be seen as statements of intent, rather than a contractual obligation. Weather and transport difficulties may cause the itineraries to be amended. The trip leader may make any necessary changes with or without consulting the participants. In this case, Borneo Outdoor Expeditions will do everything within our control to minimize the effects of the enforced changes. We cannot however be held responsible for the results of changes or delays, regardless of how they are caused