Cities in Sabah
- Tawau - Sabah Borneo
Located on the South Eastern coastal lands of Sabah, Tawau or Tawao as it was known in the early 1890’s began as a tiny nucleus of only 200 inhabitants that crossed borders from Kalimantan. These immigrants fled from Bulungan and Tawi-Tawi, away from the oppressive rule of the Dutch ‘masters’.
- Kota Kinabalu ~ Sabah Borneo (Article)
Kota Kinabalu is the capital of the state of Sabah in Malaysia's portion of Borneo. It is also the main entry point for international flights coming in from Philippines, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong and Brunei. This is where you may want to choose to stopover if you're thinking of visiting Mount Kinabalu, the Tunku Abdul Rahman Islands, Tanjung Aru, Poring Hot Springs, Crocker Range, Rungus, Kudat and Kinabalu Park.
- Sandakan ~ Sabah Borneo (Article)
Sandakan's old town was built along a narrow strip of land in a sheltered bay on the north eastern part of Sabah. It's the main point of entry to areas like the kinabatangan, selingan turtle island, gomantong caves .
Islands in Sabah
- Pulau Tiga Resort Map - Kuala Penyu, Sabah
Pulau Tiga resort is located just 1/2hr speed boat ride from the kuala penyu jetty. This is the location where the Survivor Borneo was shot.
- Kapalai ~ Semporna : Sabah Borneo (Article)
Kapalai is only some 18min speedboat ride away from sipadan and sits on a wide sandbar in the middle of the ocean. It seems a little odd at first that there is such a thing but having taken a 40min boatride from semporna to mabul, and having passed many water villages in the middle of the ocean. This is exactly the concept. The local fishermen's water villages are similar.located on sandbanks.
- Pulau Sipadan ~ Semporna: Sabah Borneo (Article)
The island looks pretty much like any other island found in our waters but the only difference is that, millions of years ago, Sipadan was formed by an undersea volcano, which means that it is a deepwater oceanic island. In fact, it's the only one of its kind in Malaysia. Dropping to a depth of 600m or 2,000ft to seabed, it can be daunting for new divers.
- Mabul Dive Sites - Pulau Mabul, Sabah Borneo (Article)
Rainy season is between mid December and mid February so bear in mind if you're thinking of getting away during Christmas. The nice thing about going during these months is that the crowds are manageable. Sometimes it may just be you and the divemaster on a dive - no rush, no hassles.
- Selingan Turtle Island - Sabah, Borneo (Article)
Visitors who come over for their Borneo wildlife experience in Sandakan would most likely embark on a loop tour that includes a Kinabatangan river cruise, a visit to the Sepilok orangutan centre, a trek to the Gomantong caves, and to end the amazing wildlife adventure – a night at the Selingan turtle island
- Gayana Eco Resort ~ Gaya Island, off Kota Kinabalu , Sabah Borneo
Gayana Eco Resort sits on Gaya Island, one of the several islands located within the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park just off the coast of Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. It has positioned itself as an eco resort in which it has also set up a Marine Ecology Research Centre which bases its research on giant clams, seahorses and bamboo sharks.
Highlands in Sabah
- Mount Kinabalu - Kinabalu Park, Sabah Borneo (Article)
Mount Kinabalu, Gunung Kinabalu is the highest mountain standing between the Himalayas in India and Wilhemina in Irian Jaya and still growing at the rate of 5mm (1/4 inches) a year. Climbing mount kinabalu, gunung kinabalu is not difficult but it is advisable to train before attempting, many people suffer from altitude sickness on ascent so be prepared.
- Mount Kinabalu - Low's Peak and Timpohon Trail - Kinabalu Park, Sabah Borneo (Article)
Got up to the noise outside. Climbers were preparing for the last leg of the climb. The gates open at 2.30am and we didn't want to be late for the sunrise at the top. The night was chilly and after a quick breakfast of toast and coffee for me, we were off.
- Mount Kinabalu - Mesilau Trail - Kinabalu Park, Sabah Borneo (Article)
having been told that the Mesilau trail, although 2km longer, would take climbers through a beautiful trek of montane forest, past streams and on ridges. I took the opportunity to change my route. It is slightly more expensive though - for the guide fees and perhaps the transport to the mesilau nature resort where the gates are)
- 4 Days 3 Nights Crocker Range Jungle Trek ~ Crocker Range National Park: Sabah Borneo
At RM1,660..Do you fancy yourself an explorer? Then this trek is perfect for you! Not only do you see the awe inspiring highlands of Sabah, including forest reserves and endemic species, but you will also have the opportunity to see how people of rural communities live their everyday lives. Be inspired by supporting the local economies, and make many lasting memories with this amazing eco trek
- 5 Days/ 4 Nights Salt Trail Expedition, Crocker Range National Park ~ Sabah Borneo
From RM1,590..The Crocker Range was renamed Taman Banjaran Crocker (Crocker Range Park) in 1996 and is now managed by Sabah Parks. The salt trail is a 34km long trail used by people of Tambunan in the olden days for trade. The countrymen used to exchange their produce for salt. Hence, it’s called ‘The Salt Trail’. This trail starts from Kg Tikolod, Tambunan to Inobong, Penampang. The highest point is at 1320m and the lowest at 220m.
Rainforests in Sabah
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve - Lahad Datu: Sabah Borneo (Article)
Tabin Wildlife Reserve just 1 1/2hrs from Lahad Datu in Sabah where borneo's wildlife are still free to roam 300,000acres of jungle..for now
- Gomantong Cave - Sandakan, Sabah Borneo (Article)
Guomantong Cave is Malaysia's largest birds' nests harvesting caves. Nests are harvested only twice a year. Best to visit this cave when the harvesters are working.
- Kinabatangan River & the Sukau Area ~ Sabah Borneo (Article)
The sukau area in sabah borneo is a tiny area with a great abundance of wildlife and flora which once spread throughout the bornean land but now has been reduced to pockets like these..
- Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre ~ Sepilok, Sandakan : Sabah Borneo (Article)
The original idea of an orangutan rehabilitation project was proposed in 1961 by P.F. Burgess, the Deputy Conservator of Forests then. Soon after, Barbara Harrisson started a mission to rescue orangutans kept by locals as pets. Their idea was to rehabilitate these captive individuals in hope that one day they may return to the wild . In 1962, together with WWF, Barbara Harrisson went to Sabah . Keeping orangutans as pets have long since been in the habit of locals.
- Kinabatangan Wildlife Sanctuary & Sukau ~ Sabah Borneo (Article)
The kinabatangan river gives life to much of the lowland areas of northern sabah. Unfortunately, expanding palm oil plantations, logging and sand mining may one day reduce this incredibly rich area into a wasteland for the wildlife.
- 3 Days 2 Nights Kinabatangan Jungle Camp ~ Kinabatangan, Sabah
The Kinabatangan Jungle Camp was established in the year 2004 in the lower Kinatangan Wildlife Sanctuary near the village of Bilit. The whole concept is simply truly jungle. Today, many repeat visitors especially birders still come to KJC to search for the very illusive Bornean Ground Cuckoo and others still try their luck to see the Clouded Leopard
- 3 Days 2 Nights Selingan Island & Abai Trip ~ Abai Jungle Lodge, Sandakan area : Sabah Borneo
Abai Village Fact located 40 km and about an hour by boat ride from Sandakan Harbour In the 1920s, Martin and Osa Johnson took the first pictures of the rare Proboscis Monkey here. hi 1937, the Johnson’s made two films – “Jungle Depths of Borneo” (lecture film) and “BORNEO” (20th Century Fox Film Corporation, the Johnsons last adventure together, narrated by journalist Lowell Thomas after Martin’s death in a plane crash in California. He was enroute to edit and premier this film.
- Nature's Sublime at Borneo Rainforest Lodge, Danum Valley ~ Lahad Datu, Sabah Borneo
From RM2,900..Borneo Rainforest Lodge is located in the core of Danum Valley, an area gazetted in the North of Sabah solely for forest and timber research plus hopefully , conservation.
- Maliau Basin Trek 5Days 4Nights ~ Maliau Basin Conservation Area, Tawau : Sabah Borneo
From RM4,430..We take you deep into the heart of Borneo with our very own 4WDs. Adventure at its most rugged best, Maliau Basin will not cease to amaze you. Virgin Borneon rainforests, magnificient waterfalls, Sabah's Lost World. 6 Days and 5 Nights of tough jungle trekking. This is surely one of those experiences you will always be able to boast about and never forget. Highly Recommended!
- Kinabatangan River - best time to go
Anytime except during the rainy season which falls normally from December till late January/early February
Cultural Activities in Sabah
- Dastar of Sabah - Malaysia Borneo (Article)
The dastar, an elaborate Malay styled headgear worn by the once feared seafaring community of the Bajau has similar weaving techiniques to the songket .The dastar uses supplementary weft weaving where coloured threads are added to the weft to create the designs
- Monsopiad Cultural Village ~ Penampang, Kota Kinabalu : Sabah Borneo (Article)
Just 25 minutes drive from Kota Kinabalu city centre is the Monsopiad Cultural Village . This is an excursion that may take about 2 to 3hours of your time but is well worth the time just to delve into a little of the kadazandusun tradition and history.
- Kampung Sumangkap (The Gong Making Village) ~ Kudat : Sabah Borneo (Article)
In the old days, the gong maker would only work on his art when he was sure there were no outsiders to witness his craft. Otherwise, he would retreat deep into the jungle with his tools and materials to continue his work.
- Kampung Gombizau (Honey Bee Farm) ~ Kudat : Sabah Borneo (Article)
This cooperative is managed by the women folk and has been in operation since 1991 as a form of alternative income to alleviate the people above the poverty line. Today, the villagers actively work on expanding their bee farm and promoting its produce.
- The Rungus People ~ Kudat: Sabah Borneo (Article)
The festival was a big gathering of local communities ~ everyone happy to see each other, relatives from villages all over Sabah, meeting up, joyous and over food and rice wine - music and dancing. Laughs and stories.
- 2Days 1 Night North Borneo Rungus Culture Trip ~ Kudat : Sabah Borneo
On the way back to the longhouse, we dropped a few people off at Kampung Tinanggol. This village has about 75 families living in longhouses that were rebuilt after the earlier ones had burnt down. One had to be rebuilt as early as 2005 when fire consumed the entire structure whilst everyone was at midnight mass on the eve of xmas 2004.
Location: Borneo Sabah
Public Transport: Borneo Malaysia
- Bandar Seri Begawan Coaches - Brunei
- Bintulu Coaches - Sarawak , Borneo
- Kuching Coaches - Sarawak , Borneo
- Lawas Coaches - Sarawak , Borneo
- Limbang Coaches - Sarawak , Borneo
- Sarikei Coaches - Sarawak , Borneo
- Serian Coaches - Sarawak , Borneo
- Sibu Coaches - Sarawak , Borneo
- Lahad Datu Coaches - Sabah , Borneo
- Kota Kinabalu Coaches - Sabah , Borneo
- Menumbok Coaches - Sabah , Borneo
- Sandakan Coaches - Sabah , Borneo
- Pontianak Coaches - Kalimantan , Borneo